OVH Community, your new community space.

OVH Backup system FTP how safe is it ?

oles@ovh.net
06.07.08, 01:46
Ictdude a écrit:
>
> Angie;24994 Wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> all depend on what you want like backup.
>> I propose that you contact the support by email.
>> We have a lot of backups and you can restore with 'superbackup' in 1
>> click with your manager.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Angie

>
> What i mean is, not what i backup but is it safe ? Secure in case of a
> 747 crash on OVH (Extreme example ) Okay i will ask support

it depend how much would you like to pay. for free you have the
backup ftp. if you pat, the backup is backuped to an another
datacenter (another city 300km).

Angie
02.07.08, 19:09
Hello,

ok, it's seems all what you will know is where are the backups?
When you server is on RBX, your backup is in RBX too. On an cluster for the backup ftp.
The same thing for superbackup, but he is not running with the same system, but in cluster too.

But an backup on p19 for the backup rbx and backup p19 on rbx :
work is already in progress.

Angie

Ictdude
02.07.08, 17:54
Zitat Zitat von Angie
For Ictdude:

So I go offline from 'official' OVH - Admin to simple Admin guy for answer you:
I have an Server and I have v e r r y i m p o r t a n t data's on this.
So OVH or not OVH I do something: backups. Know when I think there are real risk when I backup my datas only on one place in one datacenter, the solution is near:
I make 2 backups on 2 differents places.

I have learn something on work with dedicated Servers and very important datas:

1 ) a lot of ingenieers, when disk fail on heir server LOST all datas.
After the lost he cry: why YOU have not backup my datas? I loss a VERY BIG lot of money now.
The answer is: is YOUR datas and YOUR backup and when your datas bring a VERY BIG LOT of money, it's seems that your datas are very important: why you not backup YOUR data ? We offer a lot of backups, 1 of it is 'free'.
And when your datas are more important like this: do an backup of the backup.

2) Never somebody can GARANTEE 100 % full security. It's not possible.
Always something like the Towers can came over you and your backup:
Nuclear War, E.T. ..... a lot of other things. (like smiling rootwoman ... )

You know what I mean ?

I can understand your questions but is the same answer.
But when you talk about boing 747 you must do an copy of the copy of the copy.

sorry for the bad english
Dont worry i can read also German verry well. So response in German no problem. Mmmh some people are missing my point i gues. I understand we have raid ,tapes and mirror drives. And yeah i understand about making 2 backups or more. But the question is a simple one. Basicly the question is;

The backups are they in one place ? Gues they or not spread in minimal 2 locations. Its about spreading the risk factor.

And yeah guys i understand that with the good price OVH has i must not complain. But i just try to get a basic understanding how this is handled with OVH. And i like to say OVH do a good job. Yeah i think they handle stuff the right way. So respect for the OVH guy and girls i just like to know how this backup stuff is taking care of. So then nobody will tell me later i told you But then i know ehm hope now people understand what my message is mmmh pffff

Angie
02.07.08, 16:48
For Ictdude:

So I go offline from 'official' OVH - Admin to simple Admin guy for answer you:
I have an Server and I have v e r r y i m p o r t a n t data's on this.
So OVH or not OVH I do something: backups. Know when I think there are real risk when I backup my datas only on one place in one datacenter, the solution is near:
I make 2 backups on 2 differents places.

I have learn something on work with dedicated Servers and very important datas:

1 ) a lot of ingenieers, when disk fail on heir server LOST all datas.
After the lost he cry: why YOU have not backup my datas? I loss a VERY BIG lot of money now.
The answer is: is YOUR datas and YOUR backup and when your datas bring a VERY BIG LOT of money, it's seems that your datas are very important: why you not backup YOUR data ? We offer a lot of backups, 1 of it is 'free'.
And when your datas are more important like this: do an backup of the backup.

2) Never somebody can GARANTEE 100 % full security. It's not possible.
Always something like the Towers can came over you and your backup:
Nuclear War, E.T. ..... a lot of other things. (like smiling rootwoman ... )

You know what I mean ?

I can understand your questions but is the same answer.
But when you talk about boing 747 you must do an copy of the copy of the copy.

sorry for the bad english

k!mmel
02.07.08, 15:27
OVH kann man alles zutrauen ;-).

MfG

Enn
02.07.08, 12:51
"sichere" (spiegelung, tresor, global gespeichert) BackUps kosten, die wirst du nicht bei einem 25€ Server erhalten.

Ictdude
02.07.08, 12:45
Zitat Zitat von Angie
Hallo,

wir haben extrem hohe Sicherheiten. Wir werden die nicht unseren Kunden mit allen Einzelheiten schildern oder deren Schemen im Forum posten, aber ...
Wir haben 2 Datazentren in 2 verschiedenen Städten.
Es ist wohl kaum möglich das beiden gleichzeitig was passiert.
Drahtesel brauchen wir auch keinen. Sollte der Strom mal durchknallen dann fahren die 5 Notstromagregate hoch. Der Test der Gruppen wurde hier auch schon mal gepostet glaub ich.
Feuer: wie Mathias das schon so lustig sagte: die Datazentren sind Wassergekühlt und eine dem entsprechende Installation ist in jedem Datazenter vorhanden.
Theoretisch könnten wir einfach den Hahn auf drehen und keine Sorge: nasse Mainboards funktionieren wenn man Sie korrekt mit dem Fön trocknet !
( kein Witz hab das schon getestet ! )

Aber Spass bei Seite: die Technicker in den Datazentren sind natürlich in dem Bereich ausgebildet: Feuer, Strom und natürlich erste Hilfe.
Desweiteren sind unsere Säale nicht auf mehreren Etagen und die Säale sind alle getrennt und haben Feuerschutztüren.
Ich denke mal das er hier danach gefragt hat weil so ein Unfall vor kurzen in einem sehr bek annten Datazenter aufgetreten ist und die Jungs ganz dumm da standen. Denn da war nur ein kleiner Teil betroffen aber die Feuerwehr hat alles gekappt was drüber und drum herum stand wegen Wasser, Strom, Hitze usw.
Das kann in dieser Form bei uns nicht vorkommen.

Gruss,
Angie
Okay at least an answer i can use ... Its just that some administrators dont understand how importand it is to have good secure backups. I know a lot of horror story's also disaster wil strike one day in a datacentre look at the twin towers NYC Its a realistic senario. If u use 2 datacentres then you could backup to te second datacentre. If disaster hits one then second is still alive.

So then you have still data on the server or backup cause the risk is spread over two locations right ? Depends what goes down. Wel just something to think about. Mission critical servers is not some thing to joke about ... right ? Or what do the others think about this issue ?

iSO
02.07.08, 12:25
Zitat Zitat von Angie
wenn ich also was auf die ftp-backupserver schiebe, wird dann das noch ins andere RZ gemirrort?

Angie
02.07.08, 11:22
Hallo,

wir haben extrem hohe Sicherheiten. Wir werden die nicht unseren Kunden mit allen Einzelheiten schildern oder deren Schemen im Forum posten, aber ...
Drahtesel brauchen wir auch keinen. Sollte der Strom mal durchknallen dann fahren die 5 Notstromagregate hoch. Der Test der Gruppen wurde hier auch schon mal gepostet glaub ich.
Feuer: wie Mathias das schon so lustig sagte: die Datazentren sind Wassergekühlt und eine dem entsprechende Installation ist in jedem Datazenter vorhanden.
Theoretisch könnten wir einfach den Hahn auf drehen und keine Sorge: nasse Mainboards funktionieren wenn man Sie korrekt mit dem Fön trocknet !
( kein Witz hab das schon getestet ! )

Aber Spass bei Seite: die Technicker in den Datazentren sind natürlich in dem Bereich ausgebildet: Feuer, Strom und natürlich erste Hilfe.
Desweiteren sind unsere Säale nicht auf mehreren Etagen und die Säale sind alle getrennt und haben Feuerschutztüren.
Ich denke mal das er hier danach gefragt hat weil so ein Unfall vor kurzen in einem sehr bek annten Datazenter aufgetreten ist und die Jungs ganz dumm da standen. Denn da war nur ein kleiner Teil betroffen aber die Feuerwehr hat alles gekappt was drüber und drum herum stand wegen Wasser, Strom, Hitze usw.
Das kann in dieser Form bei uns nicht vorkommen.

Gruss,
Angie

F4RR3LL
02.07.08, 10:06
An meinem Homepc ist noch nen Drahteselaggregat für den Fall der Fälle.
Evtl mag OvH ja auch nen kleinen Drahteselsalon eröffnen. Das nennt ihr dann Fitnessstudio und produziert euren Strom selber.
Und mal Spaß beiseite, grundsätzlich fand ich die Frage schon berechtigt welche Sicherheiten vorherrschen, natürlich nur im machbaren Umfang.
Gruß Sven

mathias
02.07.08, 09:20
Hallo,

OVH.co.uk scheint für dich zuständig zu sein, weil du wahrscheinlich in deren Zuständigkeitsbereich lebst. Weiterhin gilt: OVH.de bietet nur deutschen Support. Das nur als kleine Anmerkung.

Die Filer, auf welchen sich die kostenlosen FTP Backupspaces für jeden Kunden befinden, sind OVH-intern platziert. Es ist sehr unwahrscheinlich, dass ganz OVH abbrennt. Und das ist nicht auf die Wasserkühlung zurückzuführen

Aber auch, wenn wir durch die Auslagerung eines Backups in eines unserer anderen RZ zusätzliche Redundanz schaffen würden: Was, wenn BEIDE Rechenzentren verqualmen?
Und bekannterweise ist Atomstrom in Frankreich allgegenwärtig: Was, wenn auf einmal alle Atomkraftwerke gleichzeitig in die Luft fliegen? Für diesen Fall sind wir leider auch nicht gewappnet

Mathias

Ictdude
01.07.08, 21:59
Zitat Zitat von blupp1
Hey Ictdude,

Could you tell us what the support said to you, please?
I think they dont understand my question

See answer, Maybe i must ask again or what ? The answer they give is about what kind a back up they have. No explanation about how secure it is.

If a fire hit OVH or a 747 crash on OVH then what ? Do they have offsite backups ? Or is all stored in OVH ? If so then there is a certain risk here. Dont you think so ? What do you all think about this ? Your 100 websites just burned, customers will kill you i gues Some thing to think about if you have mission critial data..

Dear Sir / Madam,

Normally OVH builds their servers in Raid, that will already grant a lot of security, plus we offer a backup offer for free, which will be the same size of the Hard Drive. Sometime you can get some delay in backing up your data if using this options as we have many connections at the same time, but it always work and it will be only a matter of time. If you would like something always reliable, We have several offer as follow:

Free FTP backup: http://www.ovh.co.uk/individual/items/backup_ftp.xml

Incremental and weekly backup offer: http://www.ovh.co.uk/individual/items/backups.xml

RAID5 option: http://www.ovh.co.uk/individual/products/raid.xml

Guide for the weekly backup: http://help.ovh.co.uk/WeeklyBackup

blupp1
01.07.08, 20:08
Hey Ictdude,

Could you tell us what the support said to you, please?

Ictdude
01.07.08, 18:18
Zitat Zitat von Angie
Hi,

all depend on what you want like backup.
I propose that you contact the support by email.
We have a lot of backups and you can restore with 'superbackup' in 1 click with your manager.

Best regards,
Angie
What i mean is, not what i backup but is it safe ? Secure in case of a 747 crash on OVH (Extreme example ) Okay i will ask support

Angie
01.07.08, 11:06
Hi,

all depend on what you want like backup.
I propose that you contact the support by email.
We have a lot of backups and you can restore with 'superbackup' in 1 click with your manager.

Best regards,
Angie

Ictdude
30.06.08, 23:15
I have a serieus question about how safe the OVH Backup system FTP
is. Just need to know befor i start a serious business on my server.

What guarantee do OVH give ? Is the ftp on a big SAN ? And on tapes ? Or ?
If there wil be a fire or other accident is all the data save ? Second backups ? Who can tell me so i know. risk spread of data ?
Or do OVH give you other options ? Whats possible and whats not ?