OVH Community, your new community space.

Vmware GSX server on OVH possible ?

Felix
18.05.08, 15:26
Zitat Zitat von Ictdude
This is what the website tells you:

"Dank vKVM können Sie Ihren Server auch mit Hilfe von ftpfs von einem ISO oder einer USB-Flashdisk starten" Is this really true ? Who can tell me ?
Unfortunately, this project hasn't been realized yet, so that you can't boot from ISO or CDRom now.
We will update the website accordingly.

Felix

Ictdude
17.05.08, 15:58
Zitat Zitat von OVH_Kunde
Der GSX Server ist doch lange Geschichte
Nachfolger ist der kostenlose "VMWare Server"
You are right !! I mean the free version

So i must change the Titel in VMWare Server

http://register.vmware.com/content/download-a.html

OVH_Kunde
17.05.08, 15:42
Der GSX Server ist doch lange Geschichte
Nachfolger ist der kostenlose "VMWare Server"

Ictdude
17.05.08, 12:14
I did try to get Vmware VMWare Server running on OVH linux. But its the self made kernel of OVH who give troubles and just dont work. You can compile the kernel but still no luck. Is there sombody who made this work on OVH ?

I did a lot of installations on Ubunto and Centos 5 and installed VMWare Server always it worked. But not with OVH Kernel. If you could install the OVH server with your ISO image you could make it work.

This is what the website tells you:

"Dank vKVM können Sie Ihren Server auch mit Hilfe von ftpfs von einem ISO oder einer USB-Flashdisk starten" Is this really true ? Who can tell me ?

You can reply in German if you like. I can read German but cant write If any info please mail: ictdude@ictmatrix.gotdns.com

Check out this: (http://forum.ovh.de/showthread.php?t=2756&page=2)

VMware needs a modular kernel, however, the kernel on the ovh distributions is a static one. This means you will have to compile your own kernel, you can get the ovh kernel sources from here: ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/bzImage

We're thinking of releasing a Distribution with preinstalled vmware server software, but there is no date fixed yet.

Best regards,
Felix Krohn