OVH Community, your new community space.

neue Distributionen (Virtualisierung, FreeBSD, Ubuntu)

Ictdude
19.05.08, 18:12
Zitat Zitat von pendulum
The Isgenug/Kimsufi have no VT support as far as I can tell.
Mmmmmh wat server types has VT support ? Gues i need an other server ?

Ictdude
19.05.08, 18:05
Zitat Zitat von kro
Did you issue the above egrep-command? It will tell you if your machine supports it or not.
Briefly: RPS and Kimsufi/IsGenug don't support it, most others do.

What exactly are you trying to do?
I try it on a KIMSUFI 2008 XL Gues thats why it dont work

Wat i try to do is in this link :http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migratio..._to_Proxmox_VE

See this instruction:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

VMware to Proxmox VE (KVM)

This howto describes the migration of a Windows 2003 Server (or Windows XP) from VMware to Proxmox VE (KVM).
Prepare the Windows operating system

Before you begin make a copy of the VMware image.
Remove VMware tools

Start the Windows virtual machine on VMware and remove the VMware tools via the Windows control panel. Reboot.
Enable IDE in the registry
Start the Windows virtual machine on VMware and execute the mergeide.reg (see Microsoft KB article for details). Now the registry is changed that your Windows can boot from IDE, necessary for KVM.
Shutdown Windows.
Prepare the disk file

My disk file used for this howto: win2003.vmdk
Change your VMDK disk file with vmware-vdiskmanager.exe to a single growable file (vmware-vdiskmanager.exe is located in your VMware installation path, e.g. "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server")
vmware-vdiskmanager -r win2003.vmdk -t 0 win2003-pve.vmdk
Copy the win2003-pve.vmdk to your Proxmox VE server into the following dir: /var/lib/vz/images (I used WinSCP as I worked on a Windows desktop)
Change the win2003-pve.vmdk file to qemu format
qemu-img convert -f vmdk win2003-pve.vmdk -O qcow2 win2003-pve.qcow2
Create a new KVM Virtual Machine
Create a new KVM Virtual Machine via the Proxmox VE management interface - do not start.
Edit the corresponding config file on the console to replace/add the created win2003-pve.qcow2 as hda:
nano /etc/qemu-server/123.conf

OLD:

ostype: w2k3
network: model=virtio,tap
memory: 512
onboot: 0
cdrom: kvm-driver-disc-20080318.iso
name: win2003-migrate
hda: /var/lib/vz/images/vm-123-default.qcow2

NEW:

ostype: w2k3
network: model=virtio,tap
memory: 512
onboot: 0
cdrom: kvm-driver-disc-20080318.iso
name: win2003-migrate
hda: /var/lib/vz/images/win2003-pve.qcow2
Start the new Virtual Machine via the management interface
First boot takes some time as some drives has to be loaded
Do not forget to install Paravirtualized_Network_Drivers_for_Windows
If you need to add more disk, just proceed in the same way and add the disk file as hdb, hdc, ... to the /etc/qemu-server/123.conf config file.
Finished!
------------------------------------------------------------------

Felix
19.05.08, 12:59
Zitat Zitat von Ictdude
Now can we really start a VM in Proxmox ?
I got an error did al as discribed and gues what:

http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393

When I try start my virtual machine after the creation process I get this when I press start does anyone know what's going on ?

/usr/sbin/qm start 101
got unexpected startup message: open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
start failed
VM 101 start failed

-----------------------------------------

You will need an machine with VT (virtualization technology) extensions,
or an AMD processor with SVM extensions (also called AMD-V). Test with:

> egrep '^flags.*(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

Maybe you forgot to enable it in the bios? Most hosts need a real power off/on cycle to enable that feature.

--------------------------

Is it enabled on ovh machines ? And could it work on ovh hardware ? And again not that easy as they tell you. Still no VM running
Did you issue the above egrep-command? It will tell you if your machine supports it or not.
Briefly: RPS and Kimsufi/IsGenug don't support it, most others do.

Zitat Zitat von Ictdude
I hope ovh make's a VMWare server image. Or must give us a way to upload an image. And boot with an ISO....
What exactly are you trying to do?

Felix
19.05.08, 11:14
Zitat Zitat von pendulum
I confirm.
You can still use OpenVZ, which doesn't rely on Hardware virtualisation.

Felix

Felix
19.05.08, 11:12
Zitat Zitat von Ludwig
Ich find ProxMox auf den ersten Blick auch super. Nur ein kleines Problem hab ich: Wie kann ich auf die Virtuellen Machines vom Inet aus zugreifen (SSH)? (Welche DNS-Einstellungen brauche ich?). Und die Containerrechner können auch selbst keine Verbindung zum Inet herstellen... Kann mir da jemand helfen?
Der Traffic aus den virtuellen instanzen wird durch den host geroutet. Daher mußt du dem host sagen, was er wohin routen soll, und der virtuellen instanz, wohin sie routen soll.
Nun kommt es darauf an, was du wie routen willst, 3 Fälle:
1.) Du hast einen EG/MG/HG und wirst zukünftig ein eigenes Subnetz bekommen, daß du für deine VPS benutzen kannst
2.) Dir reichen die failover IPs aus
3.) weder noch, du willst NAT benutzen.

Die ersten beiden Fälle sind die einfachsten, OpenVZ stellt beim Starten eines VE alles ein. Im dritten Fall mußt du mittels IPtables nachhelfen.

Hoffe das trägt zur Klärung bei
Felix

pendulum
18.05.08, 22:17

Ictdude
18.05.08, 22:04
Zitat Zitat von Ludwig
Thanks a lot. I'll try it and let you know if it works.
Now can we really start a VM in Proxmox ?
I got an error did al as discribed and gues what:

http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393

When I try start my virtual machine after the creation process I get this when I press start does anyone know what's going on ?

/usr/sbin/qm start 101
got unexpected startup message: open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
start failed
VM 101 start failed

-----------------------------------------

You will need an machine with VT (virtualization technology) extensions,
or an AMD processor with SVM extensions (also called AMD-V). Test with:

> egrep '^flags.*(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

Maybe you forgot to enable it in the bios? Most hosts need a real power off/on cycle to enable that feature.

--------------------------

Is it enabled on ovh machines ? And could it work on ovh hardware ? And again not that easy as they tell you. Still no VM running
I hope ovh make's a VMWare server image. Or must give us a way to upload an image. And boot with an ISO....

Ludwig
18.05.08, 11:15
Thanks a lot. I'll try it and let you know if it works.

Ictdude
18.05.08, 11:13
Zitat Zitat von Ludwig
Ich find ProxMox auf den ersten Blick auch super. Nur ein kleines Problem hab ich: Wie kann ich auf die Virtuellen Machines vom Inet aus zugreifen (SSH)? (Welche DNS-Einstellungen brauche ich?). Und die Containerrechner können auch selbst keine Verbindung zum Inet herstellen... Kann mir da jemand helfen?

Schonmal danke,
Ludwig
ProxMox is based on OpenVZ. So i think to find out download the manual:
http://download.openvz.org/doc/OpenVZ-Users-Guide.pdf

I let you know if i have it running

http://wiki.openvz.org/FAQ

http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page

Ludwig
18.05.08, 09:56

Schonmal danke,
Ludwig

Ictdude
17.05.08, 21:52
This looks really great. I cant make a VMWare server work on ovh kernels. Gues this is a better way. Looks that its real easy to use an Vmware disk and just use it in this machine. Check this out:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migratio..._to_Proxmox_VE

I found out that the instruction is not totally clear keep this in mind !!

-------------------------------------------------------------
The command to a single growable file looks like this

vmware-vdiskmanager -r “Path to Disk.vmdk” (Example)

-t 0 “C:\VMachines\Windows XP Professional.vmdk” (Example)

The double quotes are required for the system to find the path to the virtual disk! (If you have troubles with it mail me.) Took me some time to find out

------------------------------------------------------------------

VMware to Proxmox VE (KVM)

This howto describes the migration of a Windows 2003 Server (or Windows XP) from VMware to Proxmox VE (KVM).

Gues i have to test it on my root server. And if it works am ready to go.

Did sombody test this al ready ? Let me know !!! just sent me a mail: ictdude@ictmatrix.gotdns.com

Steve
17.05.08, 14:18
Hi,

wie sieht das mit den Images für die RPS aus? Kann ich die auch einmal verwenden

Gruß,

Stefan

pendulum
16.05.08, 19:14
Das mit Proxmox sieht sehr interessant aus, werd ich auf jeden Fall einmal testen. Danke für die viele Mühe Felix und alle Anderen, die daran gearbeitet haben

Edit: und schon hab ich proxmox rennen, das ging ja unglaublich fix und einfach. Mein Abend ist damit gerettet, ich hab genug zum rumspielen

Felix
16.05.08, 18:36
Guten Abend,

gerade eben haben wir einige neue Distributionen bereitgestellt:

=> FreeBSD 7.0: Hier die 32bit-Version. 64bit wird folgen, erfordert aber einige Vorarbeiten und Änderungen am Installationssystem

=> Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" Server - jetzt auch 64bittig!

=> "ProxMox" - Eine auf Debian Etch 64bit basierende Distribution mit OpenVZ und Linux Kernel Virtual Machine (Linux KVM) sowie einem Webinterface zur Verwaltung der virtuellen Server.
- OpenVZ-Container und KVM-Instanzen können zeitgleich genutzt werden, Linux KVM setzt allerdings einen Server mit Hardwarevirtualisierungsunterstützung voraus.
- Zugriff auf die virtuellen Instanzen per VNC direkt aus dem Webinterface heraus
- einige Templates zur Nutzung für OpenVZ sind mitgeliefert (Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, CentOS)
- mehr Infos zu Linux KVM gibt es hier: http://kvm.qumranet.com/
- mehr Infos zu Proxmox gibt es hier: http://pve.proxmox.com/

Feedback und Fragen nehme ich gerne hier im Forum oder auch auf der VPS-Mailingliste (List-Subscribe: ) entgegen.

Gruß,
Felix