OVH Community, your new community space.

Ecological researchers

Centro
12.03.08, 18:10
Yes, the most of all of this posts are right!

I just want to say "Thank you" for your tranparenz!

I dont need movies or pictures about the datacenter but its a great thing to watch it!

I tests at the moment the new kimsufi server with the celeron 1,2 GHZ CPU and i have to say its okey, i think its not as powerful as the old 2,66 GHZ CPU buts its more powerful as i thought.

Green Energy is for me a important thing! - Go your green way and stay to it!

At last i would say: tell us great things, but please dont block infos about bad happens as the more than bad quality on the network in 2007!

Greetz Centro

sumsum
12.03.08, 09:18
I'm interested in your "green-power-server" strategy. show us about your back-office investigation.

Well there is a german figure of speech for this : "tue gutes und sprich darüber" which means free translated "doing good and talk about it"

enjoy the day
tom

sledge0303
12.03.08, 08:45
Hi Oles,

I'm looking forward for some imformations about your company
Anyway, many thanks for all your time and for taking care about a very well working network.

pendulum
09.03.08, 19:22
Hi Oles,

someone has to be the first to do it. OVH has shown a lot of creativity and courage regarding new ways of hosting (watercooling, RPS).
Stay that way, it's a big advantage over other hosting companies. It's that OVH attitude that makes it so special and successful.

For me, knowing how OVH works gives me confidence. It generates trust.

I have to second stk with the wish of personalized systems.
In the future I might need a big storage system but not so much cpu/ram/bandwidth.
For example: dual core cpu, 2gb ram, 5x 750gb hdd.
The only solution would be housing but Paris and Roubaix are 800-900km from here so that is no option to me. Or is there something you could propose?

Anyway: keep the attitude and OVH will see a bright future

stk
09.03.08, 16:11
or try diesel-cooled systems, it's supposed to be more efficient
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/05...e_vax_cluster/

iSO
09.03.08, 15:58
well my company would also say: "they are running water-cooled servers? they're crazy" but I personally think that achievements like this are really important because the cooling can be way more energy efficient.

is the heat-energy used somewhere? i believe hetzner.de uses it for heating the buildings near their center.

that the ecological thinking gets more important can be seen on the websites of hetzner.de and server4you.de

stk
09.03.08, 15:35
Dear Octave,
I guess it's rather unusual for a technical director not fearing
the contact with real customers. :-)

If that's crazy, I can't tell, but it is one hell of a way to feed the interest in your company.
there are several other large colo/dedi/hosters who would prefer
their customers to just rent their services, pay the bills and shut up.

I'd like to see more movies from your datacenters, maybe you could film something about your
watercooling system? or something about throwing burnt out hardware out the window,
pummeling less-than-reliable systems for a change :-)

the transparency of ovh is unparalled imho, I'm sure the other customers
would like to hear more and more about your plans, systems etc.

the ecological impact of the internet infrastructure is becoming a growing concern,
there are several publications about how many nuclear powerplants are
needed to keep, say germany's or france', infrastructure running.

threre are just a couple of things I'd like to see in the coming future from OVH:

- personalized systems or packages, other harddisks, cpu/ram.
eg. someone may need 2gb ram, 2 cores/cpus, 2x250gb (soft) raid,
~50gb backup space but generating neglible traffic
( 100MBit/s would approximate 1TB/day, but what about customers generating
something like 200-300GB/month)

- a way to order subnets from RIPE

Regards,
Stefan

stefan29
09.03.08, 15:29
I think we are ready for that information. Everybody here should have noticed that OVH is a company that can solve every problem. So yes, tell us more

kiwee
09.03.08, 15:03
The acutal capacity of your links would be interesting, too. I also wanna see some pictures of Roubaix

f.schütze
09.03.08, 14:14
I personally want to know more about OVH, your servers, your marketing strategies, your employees and how the hell you are able to provide such a good service for so little money!

oles@ovh.net
09.03.08, 14:08
Hallo,

OVH ist wahrscheinlich der ökologischste Hoster der Welt. Wir betreiben zum Beispiel 30000 dedizierte Server mit unserem eigenen Wasserkühlungssystem. So verbrauchen wir 30% weniger Strom pro Server! Warum sind unsere Server günstiger? Ihr habt die Antwort.
Und wir machen auch viel Forschung im Bereich Datacenter und Server um weniger Energie zu verschwenden. Derzeit arbeiten wir an den neuen CPUs von Intel mit 45 nm, und so weiter...

Das Problem ist dass ich sehr schlechte Erfahrungen mit dem Feedback von Kunden habe wenn ich erkäre wie anders OVH ist. Zum Beispiel habe ich 2004 angekündigt dass wir zu wassergekühlten Systemen wechseln und darum günstigere Server anbieten werden. Wir haben dadurch sehr viele Kunden verloren. Die haben uns gesagt wir wären verrückt, und dass Sie das Risiko nicht eingehen möchten mit einer verrückten Firma zusammenzuarbeiten. Ein anderes Beispiel: wir bieten derzeit schon den brandneuen Celeron 215 (1,25 GHz) an und die Kunden sagen "!? was zum Teufel ist das? Ich will eine 2 Ghz CPU!"

Ich habe dann verstanden dass es einige Geschichten gibt über die wir besser nicht reden weil die Leute noch nicht bereit sind sie zu hören. Ich verstehe dass das was wir anbieten wirklich neu ist und einige Kunden verloren gehen können. Das Marketing ist einfach zu langsam um zu erklären wie neu unser Angebot ist! Vielleicht ist OVH die "Zukunft Heute" Firma. Vielleicht auch nicht.

Ich habe eine Frage und benötige dazu euer Feedback. Ich habe das Gefühl dass die Leute sich ändern und ökologische Fragen immer wichtiger werden.
Ich bin mir aber nicht sicher ob es der richtige Moment ist oder ob wir noch etwas länger warten sollten um euch zu zeigen wie OVH Server seine Server auf eine andere Art und Weise macht um euch etwas anzubieten das es sonst nirgendwo gibt? Wie viel weniger energiehungrig unsere Datacenter sind? Wie wir unsere eigenen Server bauen? Welche Art von Tests wir mit den Servern durchführen um ein neues Mainboard, eine neue Festplatte zu validieren? Ich weiss nicht ob Ihr bereit seid es zu hören, zu sehen? Oder ist euch diese ganze "Backoffice"-Arbeit egal und alles was Ihr wollt ist ein funktionierender Server?

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Octave